Falling Into Place or Seizing the Day Part ll

If you are sitting down to read this for the first time be sure to read Part l first.

After allowing the door to stare at me for a couple of weeks it was time. With great enthusiasm, paint stripper, gloves and putty knife in hand I began pouring stripper on this door.

Scruffy Antique Victorian Door

(Remember lead paint.) After a 20 year hiatus from paint stripping I was certain that new technology would win the day, and this door would be stripped in no time. Ah, no such luck!

Stripped Victorian Door
Stripped Victorian door

Layer after layer the door started to reveal it’s history. From a very scruffy, been around the block to many times white, to a billiard green, to a really gross flesh tone. Well you get the idea. Six coats of paint later, the door was finally ready to be turned over, to start the process all over again with six more coats of paint to be removed. Now the fun stuff could begin.

We had to remove the lock box, which created a huge cavity in the door. What was one more hole anyway! Squaring the door up on the table saw, we removed a bit of the door from each side. We then filled the cavity where the lock box had been with a wood. The barn door obviously was going to slide so we didn’t need the lock and the condition of the lock was poor. Clearly my door had been witness to a break in.

Filling the other holes where there had been a dead bolt and a key hole with a large dowel, it was now time to add 3 ½” to the bottom of the door. We needed the extra length to accommodate the barn door hardware. Off to our local specialty wood working shop I was able to score a piece of wood that was the right thickness. The door is a 5/4 door. This means it is 1 ¼” thick. You can’t just buy wood of this thickness at Lowes or Home Depot. You need a specialty shop.

Another turn thru the table saw and with the magic of the Kreg Pocket Hole System we were able to get everything back together in one piece. Square!

Victorian Door

The next step was to add veneer edge banding all the way around. You can purchase veneer edge banding from a specialty wood working shop that already has adhesive on it. This is a very easy step. You just line it up iron it on. (Be sure to use an old iron, you won’t want to iron cloths with it again.)  Trim  uneven veneer with a box cutter.  Simple.  After much sanding it was ready for paint.

I wanted the door to show it’s age and I didn’t want a pristine finish. My furniture paint of choice is Amy Howard Chalk Paint. Color Bauhaus Buff. This paint kind of goes on like whipped cream and dries very fast. It does have a very chalky texture (ah Chalk Paint!), which makes it easy to sand to a very nice smooth finish. The first coat does have a kind of ugly stage so don’t be alarmed. Second coat is better then hit it with sandpaper. Very easy. For this door though, I sanded through a lot of the paint because I wanted to see the wood coming thru.

The next thing I did was wax it. I am a firm believer in wax because it can soften or enhance the patina, and if you use a wax with a stain in it you can alter the color of the paint. In this case that was desirable. It also acts as a protective coat for the paint.

Job done it was time to set the door aside for a few weeks and tackle the barn siding.

On a weekend fishing trip up to MN the husband was out of the house so I knew it was the perfect time to remove the drywall.

Bare wall ready for barn siding

This needed to be done because of a built in bookcase that dead ends in to that corner. I new I needed to be able to get the siding behind the side of the bookcase for a clean look. I also needed to temporarily remove the deep baseboard and the library cap next to the floor, trim around the door etc.

Back to the garage I roughly sanded all the boards with an orbital sander because they were filthy and I didn’t want any splinters.

It is imperative that you also check for any signs of termites. Every board was in great shape. Cutting them to size with the miter saw, I then put a coat of primer on all of them because I didn’t want any red bleeding thru. When the saw hit these boards the smell was phenomenal. Then it dawned on me that these boards were Douglas Fir. Lucky me!

After painting with the Amy Howard Chalk Paint

Barn Siding after Primer

I still didn’t have quite the look I was trying to achieve. It took me a few minutes to puzzle this out. Then the orbital sander hit the boards again for a light sanding and Voile` the miracle happened and the siding finally came to life.

Barn Siding
Completed wall of barn siding

The rest was a piece of cake. With finish nailer in tow the barn siding started to take shape and I was instantly in love with my one lonely wall of barn siding.

Now the really fun stuff began.  It was time for clean up and decorate.  That happens to be my specialty!

Tennessee Pie Safe

These two features are in the short L of the room giving this small space character and interest.

Completed Bookcase
Antique Barn Vent, Immigrants Trunk

My favorite room in the house.  Falling into Place & Seizing the Day.

Note:  I have no sponsors or affiliates.  These are just the products that I enjoyed using.

One Reply to “Falling Into Place or Seizing the Day Part ll”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *